Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Craft room: The Details

Wow! I never thought I'd get such an awesome response on my craft room! Don't get me wrong, I LOOOOOVE my craft room, and spend many an hour in there, but I figured it would be a bit boring to show. You know, more of a utilitarian space, not all pretty and cute. Boy was I wrong. Seems you girls love a great craft room as much as I do =)


I have received many questions about it, and while I've responded to you each individually, I thought it was worth a post on its own.

Firstly, what's surprised me the most about the comments was how much you all loved the wall colour. And here I was thinking of repainting it. Perhaps I'll rethink that now =)

It is a pretty blue colour, but it is VERY blue. I thought about toning it down, but you all have me thinking that it really is a pretty, peaceful colour, and the walls are in perfect shape, so I'll leave it for a while. Besides, painting this room is just not on the top of my priority list these days.

As far as the colour goes, that's where the bad news comes in. It was this colour when I moved in. The previous owners are actually now our neighbours, having built another house on the acreage next to us. I asked her, but she can't remember. She does think it was a Benjamin Moore colour, though. I have checked it out, and it seems fairly close to Benjamin Moore's Grey Wisp. Grey Wisp is a tiny bit more toned down and grey than this blue. It looks quite different on my computer screen, but when I hold up a sample to my wall, it's pretty close.

I also thought I'd show you just how I (ie really my handy hubby and I) put together this cutting table. All components (so far, which I'll explain in a minute) are from Ikea. Here's the recipe for this particular table:



1. 2 Vika Amon table tops (47 inches by 23.5 inches) $19.00 each
2. Aspelund Chest with 2 drawers $99.00 each
3. 2 Vika Kaj adjustable legs, $15.00 each (optional if you use 2 dressers)
(all prices are Cdn $-likely cheaper in the US)

The two table tops need to be secured together, so they don't slip and slide.  We used a small metal bracket, found at Home Depot, or any hardware store.  Simply screw the two together from the bottom.  The dressers provide extra support for the table tops as well (or the legs, which I'll explain more in a sec).

I have since made a few modifications to this cutting island. I added a second dresser unit, as I figured that I could also use my cutting table as a wrapping table. I store my quilting supplies in one dresser, and now my wrapping supplies in the other. I would not have needed to buy the adjustable legs if I just bought the two dressers at the same time.


My hubby is making one more modification to my table: A wrapping paper storage shelf, which will go in between the two dressers. It will be great for storing paper, but also fill in the gap between the dressers. I'll show you once he's completed it. This will be the only non-Ikea component.


Keep in mind: The height of your table is dictated by either the height of the components you place underneath (ie the dresser), or by the adjustable legs. My table is a tad too short, but for 2 inches, I was willing to go with this height as I liked the style of this dresser the best. If you want taller, you'd either have to use 4 adjustable legs in addition to the dressers, and therefore have a gap between the dresser and tabletop (which I don't see a problem with-it may be a great place to store paper or other flat objects), or use a taller dresser. This combination is 33 inches tall. I'm 5'6'' and find it fine, but like I said, a few inches taller would have been perfect.

If you rest the table tops on the dressers, you'll need to use one of those clear round doo-dads on each corner (or more, if you use larger table tops to create your craft table) to prevent the desk top from slipping around.  I couldn't find any to take a picture of, but they are the same things you use under decorative objects to prevent scratching and shifting on tables. You could also screw the dresser top to the table, but this now will ruin your dresser top, which I don't think is necessary.

Another key thing to keep in mind is that this style of table (ie with dressers) does not allow you to easily sit 'under' the table. I wasn't concerned with this, as I wanted hidden storage, and had another large work surface to sit at and craft. You could easily modify this design, if you require a more multi-purpose table, by using a different base. How about something like the expedit on either end? Use baskets for storage in the cubbies, and the narrow-ness of these units should allow for a stool to easily slide underneath the table. The options are endless!

Hint: Don't limit your search for desk components in the office section. I found the options for 'bases' in that department limited, and much more expensive. Search in the bedroom area (ie for dressers) and the entertainment and storage areas for cubicle type shelves. The are cheaper and generally work better for this type of craft table.
I may actually add a second work table in my space, but this time use the expedit system vs drawers as my base. I have yet another hobby that I want to get back into that I would love having another dedicated work table for.  Now, if someone can just tell me that I'm crazy to add in another hobby in my life seeing as how I'm about to have my 3rd baby, and I'm already up to my eyeballs in obsessions, I mean hobbies =)

I hope this will give you ideas on how to set up your craft space!

Linking to my Favorite Parties!








14 comments:

Kelly said...[Reply to comment]

You know your wall color reminds me of my sisters new wall color in her powder room. It's called Wyeth Blue by BM. I wonder if that could be it. Just thought I'd let you know in case you're trying to match it back up.

Pamela said...[Reply to comment]

Martha would be highly impressed with this room!!!
Love it Andrea!

Julie @ followyourheartwoodworking said...[Reply to comment]

I love the colour and the whole room as well. I remember the days of sewing at the kitchen table and having to put everything away at meal time. Once I had a craft room I could leave things out and get back to them... so much better. As for your dresser space in between I can picture cubbies back to back.
Best wishes with the new baby, when is she due??

thistlewoodfarm said...[Reply to comment]

Andrea,

Seriously....you were doubting we would love that room! You have created a space worthy of a magazine! I would absolutely love it if you would link this up to our "impossibles" party! Here's the link:

http://thistlewoodfarm.wordpress.com/2012/01/31/a-journey-of-1000-steps/

Thanks for the inspiration sweet friend!

blessings,
karianne

Tammy@Beatrice Banks said...[Reply to comment]

Sometimes you don't realize how great something is when you're staring at it. Trust me, that room is awesome! And the color is just bright enough to make the creative juices flow but soft enough to not overpower. I love your idea for the gift wrap station. Sounds like your nesting instincts are taking over with all those hobbies!

Butterbean Row said...[Reply to comment]

Love your table and craft room... and your blog is beautiful.

♥charlotte

The Cottage Market {Andrea} ♥ said...[Reply to comment]

absolutely FABULOUS!!!! i hope to use your model to model one for my room! i just love it and i applaud you!!!! hugs...your newest follower and also -- thank you so much for coming to our party : )

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...[Reply to comment]

What a fabulous room and I adore the paint color!

for the love of a house said...[Reply to comment]

I think the wall color is fabulous!! What a great room!

happy weekend!
joan

heidi said...[Reply to comment]

What a pretty pace. I think I would spend every free moment in a craft room like that. Your cutting table is fantiastic. I wonder if I could convince my husband to finish off our attic just so I could have a space like that?

Karah @ thespacebetweenblog said...[Reply to comment]

I am in LOVE with this space, so many great details. I bet it it is so inspiring to be in!!

Thanks so much for linking up to the challenge! Karah

Stacy said...[Reply to comment]

This is the first craft room I have found that is very similar to the room I am putting together. My craft room is not just my craft room, it is also my office and reading room as well and when I am not crafting, everything needs to be put away and out of sight! Your room is beautiful. Everything has a place and it is very organized. You are so lucky to have so much space!

scrapbookluvr said...[Reply to comment]

I am so jealous of you! There is only one problem with your craft room..... It's not in my house! Godspeed in your crafting endeavors, or just "daydreaming" in a beautiful space...

Carlene Fertig said...[Reply to comment]

It is beautiful, Andrea! :) Kudos! The color combination definitely complements the wood materials used. Be sure to do do-it-yourself inspections once in a while to make sure that pests, such as termites, do not thrive in the wood materials to prevent damage to your home’s property value and structural integrity.

Carlene Fertig