Friday, March 30, 2012

It's good, but is it The One??

I have struggled with the mantel in my new home, since, well, we moved into this house 9 months ago.

I need Laura, the Mantel Whisperer, or Kim's keen eye to help me out!! Care for a trip to Canada, ladies? =)

I have been on the search for a perfect mirror for all these months. My old mirror was waaaaay too small for this spot, and just a temporary el cheapo: 



I bought several mirrors for this space, only to return them as they weren't perfect.

This latest mirror I really like, but am not sure if it's the perfect one for this spot. Before I could decide, my Hubby had the anchors in the wall and had it hung-guess he was sick of my indecision. So for now, it stays. I like the mirror enough that if I find another perfect candidate, I'm sure I can find a different home in our house for this one:


What do you think? My concerns are, it may be a tad bit too small still (although a MUCH better scale than the last one), and it may not be the right colour. I actually like the dark wood of the frame, but am concerned that it clashes with the more reddish tones of the mantel. Painting it may be an option, but I am concerned the embossed pattern would be lost if I painted it. I've considered more of a dry brush with some chalk paint, but I'm too chicken to try it in case I ruin it.



I'm also planning to change the accessories, but again, will wait until I find the perfect things!

I'd love your opinions! Should the mirror stay for good, or should I continue my search for the perfect candidate?

9 comments:

Jenny said...[Reply to comment]

It's definitely better than the first round mirror, but I see what you're talking about. Still a little small, but I don't think the wood tones throw it off any. I still think a large round mirror would look awesome up there since you have so many "square references" in the fireplace space as a whole. Might soften the edges a bit, if that makes sense. Gorgeous fireplace though - and if it makes you feel better, I've been struggling with mine since we moved in too!!

Carol Mattingly said...[Reply to comment]

I follow your blog but have never commented before. So for what it's worth I love the mirror with the mantle. It accentuates the fireplace surround perfectly. Carol

Blondie's Journal said...[Reply to comment]

I like the rectangular mirror, it's very interesting and fits the space better. I have a mirror and now I am thinking of looking for a painting...something pastel to go with my living room. I will surely need some help then!

XO,
Jane

Deserae said...[Reply to comment]

Finding a mirror for above the mantle can always be a little tricky. I think you should live with it for a while and see if it grows on you. If not you can always paint it or move it to a new spot :o) Or you might decide you love it?!?!?! LOL
~Des

Diane said...[Reply to comment]

Wow, I love that mirror! I think the mantel is looking good with the larger mirror. Sometimes when I get stuck with decor, I will wonder around Canadian Tire...yup, it's amazing what you can find there.

Kelly said...[Reply to comment]

I have some ideas for you, but of course, you know how it looks in person and the feel of the room better than I do. So, you can try these or just throw them away. Ha! I'm trying to remember what color your sofa and chairs are. If you have some light colors in the room, then you could paint the frame of your mirror a light cream or white. Then add something tall on either side of the mirror that has nature in it, such as urns with flowers or feathery ferns. Stack some old books under the center of the mirror or use nothing if the urns are full enough. Have the urns or pots that you use beside the mirror be a light color too. That way all the trim around the fireplace really stands out and frames it instead of competing with it. What do you think?

Kelly said...[Reply to comment]

Ok, I just found a post where you showed your furniture in your family room. It's SO pretty! I would definitely paint the mirror a lighter color then. Looks like you have a decent amount of wall space under your mirror too, so some books stacked under that would help fill that in and add interest. Hope this helped. You could use pussy willow branches or white orchids on each side too. Something wispy and feathery is what I was thinking.

Tammy@Beatrice Banks said...[Reply to comment]

I love that mirror, especially the chunky frame. I'm with Jenny in that I envision a big round mirror that would break up the lines. I liked the round mirror you had. It just wasn't big enough. I love the simplicity of your mantel decor and think something of color or depth like a sunburst mirror would really pop out that space. Since it is hung already, I'm liking Kelly's idea of adding urns. Good luck!

Lisa said...[Reply to comment]

Have you tried hanging it horizontally? That might work better for you.
You could also buy a big piece of mirror that would fit from side to side inside the wood on either side and then maybe add a strip at the top, so the it would be "framed" in.