Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Decorating our Kitchen Island

Before I talk about the kitchen renovations, I would like to say that I feel very blessed to be able to do so.

Our entire area, encompassing much of Southern Alberta, has been affected by severe flash flooding.

Over 600 people needed to be rescued from roofs by helicopter; over 100,000 people were evacuated from their homes; many lost absolutely everything.

Our home remained dry. I gathered the girls, and we have done a few donations to families who have babies and young children without a single toy to play with. Now that the clean up begins, we hope to help out more.

The gathering of help from the communities has been amazing. People are good.

Onto the kitchen......

I was crossing fingers that I could do a reveal post this week, but it was not meant to be. A few trim pieces came in the wrong size, and our Visual Comfort lighting that was ordered in February finally arrived, but was dented and missing a part-ugh!!!

So, I anticipate we are yet a few weeks from reveal time.

In the meantime, I have been busy styling the kitchen, and am having such fun with it! Today I am showing you what I did on the island:


 
I am keeping the accessories simple, natural and organic in feel.
 
 
A Myrtle topiary, and a potted fern sit on a large, round breadboard. I am searching for a Rosemary topiary as well.



 
Salt and Lavender Sugar are easily accessible in the small fluted bowls (from Pier One).
 

I love old looking, weathered terracotta.

 
 
If you want to see more details about our kitchen island, you can see that here.
 
 
Today we are working in our garden. 20 trees are being planted (trees are a hot commodity in the foothills!), and putting in a perennial bed. I will be sure to show you our progress!
 
Linking my island decor to these parties:


I'd love for you to follow along with me on Instagram,  Pinterest, and Twitter.
 
 


14 comments:

Leslie said...[Reply to comment]

Andrea, Your island looks beautiful and I like the touches of color. Also like the pottery!

leslie
www.4aroundthetable.com

Home and Lifestyle Design said...[Reply to comment]

So sorry to hear about all the people having to endure the flooding in your area.
I love your wood top island and all the natural elements you are using to decorate.
Thanks, Patty
http://homeandlifestyledesign.blogspot.com

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...[Reply to comment]

Love it, Andrea and so glad your home was not affected by the flooding. Hate that your light came damaged.

Connie said...[Reply to comment]

I love it, it's a lovely pop of color. Your kitchen is drop dead gorgeous. I love white kitchens, so clean, so bright and so easy to change up with a different pop of color through the seasons, holidays and moods :)
Have a lovely day.
Connie

Stacy said...[Reply to comment]

It is a lovely centerpiece for the island. And I see a pot filler with your cook top ~ I have always wanted one! I am glad your family and home are both safe. What I have seen on tv has been devastating.

Julie @ followyourheartwoodworking said...[Reply to comment]

It all looks beautiful. That flooding is just terrible, can you imagine making your house beautiful, as you have done, and then it is ruined by water and mud. Such heartache!

Kelly said...[Reply to comment]

Love how you've styled your island and the sneak peek in the background! I've never heard of lavender sugar before. It has been so much fun following your progress on your renovations. I can't wait for the full kitchen reveal! So glad you didn't experience any flooding at your house too.

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...[Reply to comment]

Love your island and the topiary. Everything looks so pretty. So sorry about the lantern. I would love for you to link up to my Inspire Me Tuesday party that is ongoing - -http://www.astrollthrulife.net/2013/06/170th-inspire-me-tuesday.html Hugs, Marty

Pamela said...[Reply to comment]

Love your topiaries! I had a rosemary one and killed it within three days. Did not even get a pic of it in all of its glory!;)

White Weathered Hutch, said...[Reply to comment]

Happy to hear that your home was spared. Our son is working out there at the airport and said it was quite mucky.... They install new runway lighting. It's been devastating to the families that lost so much.
I'm having the same issues with my kitchen reno. Nothing seems to run smoothly.
I find rosemary topiaries are more common in the Christmas season..

Nici @ Posed Perfection said...[Reply to comment]

This is beautiful and serene... I love the natural elements!
Blessings,
Nici

Traci Creel said...[Reply to comment]

What a beautiful vignette. My island has a sink in it and I find it very difficult to style. Thanks for the inspiration.
Traci

Little Bitty Damn Houze said...[Reply to comment]

Beautiful! New follower! Found you on Between Naps of the Porch Link Party!

Happy 4th!

Sophie Grey said...[Reply to comment]

Hi Andrea! I love cottage kitchens and I would like to say this white kitchen looks amazingly beautiful.